preliminary

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
JulianEmme

preliminary

Post by JulianEmme »

Here are my two versions with pages. I was doing the Yale Art School site, since it's an art school I figured I would try to make it edgy, artsy and weird. It was a little difficult since the site just went down and I couldn't remember what information to include.
Attachments
working2page.jpg
working2.jpg
working1_page.jpg
working1.jpg
Julian Emme

erika.murray

Re: preliminary

Post by erika.murray »

Both of these layouts really capture the artsy and weird theme. I like the feel and colors of your second layout home page, but my eye was immediately drawn to your first layouts. The first layout is abstract and intriguing, and I think you should go with it. I would move the hand from the inner page to the right and have the text come to the middle, just so you have some variety from the home page. You might want to think about bringing in more elements to the design to make it come together (shapes, lines, etc.). You could add a shape going down the edge of the paragraph of the inner page. Cool designs!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

Your first layouts really look "arty" and also capture the eye pretty well. Good colors. Maybe add in more design elements to make it come together more.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like the weird lighted dark room of your second design. The homepage in particular is really strong. I like that you've taken the light in a dark room theme and reflected it in your design. Your typography is well chosen. The bold sans-serif really stands out and draws the eye where as the lighter version of the same font works well to convey more detailed information in the bodycopy. Because of the way you've colored it, your headline and navigation seems to be glowing. Your bodycopy is well positioned too and because the background is so dark, you don't loose any of the type against the detail of the image. Because of all this your navigation is easy to see and use. Your margins are also fantastic on the home page. Everything is just at the limit of distance before it starts to break up. You still have unity, but the distance really works to establish hierarchy.

I'm not sure you need the white area on your inner page. I think you can continue with the same lighted room effect you have on your home page, maybe minus the sphere and have your content appear on top of it, like you do on your home page. That would also resolve the too tight margins of the navigation on your inner page.

Nicely done!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

oooooo, I like both of these, but I do like the first design a bit more than the second. That image is very intriguing and captures the eye right away. I also like the non-traditional text placement, makes the design look more modern. I feel like you could push the color scheme in the additional page navigation a bit more though. Seems like that turquoise blue gets lost in the white background. Overall nice work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

The first design with the lighted orb object is visually interesting -it captures the attention of the viewer well. The typefaces work for the design and are easy to read. The current students page has a few spacing flaws, but overall is strong and holds true to the style of the first page well.
Melissa Peel

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overview: both of your designs are nice, but the second design seem a little bare and plan, for an art school. So I would say that your first design is your best. It clean and nice the colors work well together.

Improvements: For your body page change the color of "future Students" It is hard to read against a white background, other than that everything else is looking great.
Kyler Rose

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

JulianEmme,
The second web-page works better. The color scheme works along with the layout and images. The one thing to change is, because the second page is heavy with white you can make "yale" on the front page white to have a stronger unification and it will help with contrast.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Ltrueworthy

Post by Ltrueworthy »

I think the blue layout (working2) is the one I like the most. The other one kind of makes me uneasy haha. I Love the blue sphere and the glow on it. It makes it stand out a lot to me. I wonder if putting the blue sphere on the white layout/background might give it that extra push. I really like how it all works together but I don't know if having it all blue is the best choice in viewing. I attached an example of what I'm trying to say, I like how clean and cut it looks (not my example) but I was curious how it would look with the blue sphere.
Attachments
Screen Shot .png
Lea Trueworthy

darian_p

Post by darian_p »

The blue design works better. I like the images you used but feel you could use more images that showcase the student's work and maybe add a little bit more to the banner so it's not just a gradient. Also the color of your type on your navigation bar is a little too bright. Maybe darken it up a little.
bImage
Darian Potichny