Preliminary 2 Roughs, by Francisco

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
fjbo

Preliminary 2 Roughs, by Francisco

Post by fjbo »

My ugly website that is to be do-over for project 2 is http://sweetenersupply.com. It's a Sweetener products manufacturing a distributor in the United States, called Sweetener Supply Corporation.

My first design proposal is a more modern, simple and regional business-like looking website:
design-1.jpg
My second proposal is a more playful, colorful design:
design-2.jpg
My third proposal is a more minimalist, simple, natural-ish looking design:
design-3.jpg
Lastly, my fourth proposal is a big-corporation style website:
design-4.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

erika.murray

Re: Preliminary 2 Roughs, by Francisco

Post by erika.murray »

Your stronger designs here are your 3rd and your 4th design. The 3rd design really speaks "nature" to the audience, and the 4th design has a really well put together layout. If you're going for the natural look, go with your 3rd design, and if you want to bring in more of the manufacturing aspect, go with your 4th layout. I would suggest finding a different image for the 4th design. You could put in a photo of the sugar plant instead of the junk food, since that speaks "natural" rather than "processed". You gave 4 homepage designs instead of giving inner pages for two of your designs, so make sure that you have some good structure in your inner page layouts when you get to it. Nice work!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

I like your 3rd and 4th designs. The natural look is good and the fourth one I like the layout. Think both designs have possibilities. Good colors and type.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Looks like you've only got homepages here. The project requirements we're two designs and a homepage and inner page of each.

Nevertheless, of your four(!) designs that you posted, I like the top design. The full photo background makes a strong statement and you have room to really play with the layout depending on your content. Your navigation is well placed and easy to use for both home and inner pages. The footer at the bottom makes a great framing element too and a possible secondary navigation area. Your colors are working well, both together and with your photo. I like the bold content square to the right. It draws the eye immediately and gives you a lot of room to maneuver depending on what content your inner pages throw at you. I think your typography is working well for your design, it's legible and just a little bit readable since you went with a non-standard sans-serif. Nice choice.

Maybe try an in focus photo and having a different photo for each page. I'd also recommend justifying your bodycopy. You've got a strong geometric layout and aligned type just looks a little ragged with it. Perhaps see what it would look like if you content area is semi transparent.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Definitely would use your third layout design, I love the image and your use of space throughout the design. For this company, who's "producing sugar naturally", you may want to emphasize the more organic way to produce sugar (i.e. your 3rd layout) and shy away from implications drawn from factory production. The other website designs are constructed very well however I may choose to use different imagery. But overall nice layout designs!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I would go with the second or third one, I feel like an organic sugar company wouldn't want to focus on the industrial aspect of sweetener production or the candy/sweets side. The typographic choices you made are working really well, as well as the colors. Good job dude!
Julian Emme

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Although design 3 with the grass is an interesting design, design 1 goes better with the Sweetener Supply company's existing style. The blue colors flow with the existing logo. A more legible typeface in the body copy would improve legibility. The design is clean and straight forward.
Melissa Peel

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overview: as a little note I can not tell if these are all home pages or not, each page seems like its own homepage. Either way I say go with your First Design. Its strong and easy to find info mation. To improve it use a different text align and change the color of the text box you have made
Kyler Rose

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

fjbo,
I think the layout works really well for all the designs. What I find difficult to comprehend is the subject matter. There isn't anything that jumps out and says the quality of nature. perhaps some additional images will help.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

darian_p

Post by darian_p »

I like the first and third design the best. The both use great color and imagery.
bImage
Darian Potichny