Project 2

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Pearl_Underwood

Project 2

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

For this project, I feel that they were in need of a new updated look. http://www.IronwoodEventsCenter.com. This is also the facility where I train. I feel like this website is one that we can all learn from. The homepage is center-aligned, and I feel like the "Trainer's" page is a bit messy.

For my second website I went with the 1 page responsive website. I gave this more of a rustic feel, while incorporating the english discipline. I added the stirrups, and riding crop to distinguish that the facility trains mainly the english rider. I feel that this look is way more attractive than the original website.

Both of these websites are up to date, and more attractive than the original. I feel the color choices, and the font that gives the burnt would affect on the second website is much better.

I have no idea why the white background is showing up, it is not showing up on the original file.
Attachments
ironwood_2.jpg
Ironwood_web1.jpg
2nd page
2nd page
Last edited by Pearl_Underwood on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Pearl Underwood~

erika.murray

Re: Project 2

Post by erika.murray »

I like that you cleaned up the text compared to the original website. The horses at the top are a nice addition as well, though I would only put one on each side. Move the body text on the homepage closer to the slider image. Looking forward to seeing your second design!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

Nice image on the top. I think having one horse on either side. Too many and it gets a little busy. Like your typeface you chose.
Susie Lang

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Pearl_Underwood,
I like the headline/type style and navigation. As a whole, your design captures the subject matter of the website. The few things to change are the right two silhouettes: the leaping horse should switch places with the one beside it and facing the other direction so that there is symmetry with the other silhouettes. Also, for the third page, there should be less but larger images.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, I like your newer one better. The slats make a pretty strong statement and set up an unofficial "grid" you can use to align things against. The texture also gives the website a warm country feeling that goes well with it's subject. I like the distressed font for your title and navigation. It looks painted on the wood and serves to establish a specific look and feel. However, I can still read it and engage with it as necessary. Your navigation is nicely placed in a standard location and the red color draws the eye while still working with your branding. The layout is generally good; I can find information quickly and easily and it looks like it'll scroll nicely.

I don't think you need the boxes behind your type. The white type should show fine against the wood, at least as long as it doesn't overlap one of the bigger gaps. I'd also recommend taking the border off your top photo, or swapping in a white border so it looks like a photo set on the wood. I'm not sold on your distressed type as bodycopy, you might want to look at another serif type and see how it works. Watch your margins as well. Your photo is super tight to the navigation and then you have a ton of room between your title and your content. The blue type on your photos is a little clashy, I'd recommend changing the color.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

Either one would work, the only suggestions I have would be to tighten everything up, there is a lot of open space where you don't need it, also for both I would probably move the title a little further down it feels to high up in the layout. Maybe ply with some color choices a little more to prevent clashing.
Julian Emme

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

GURRL, second layout is the layout. I love the rustic vibes and the the use of the vertical alignment. Your type face is great as well, really plays well with the overall horse theme you've got going on! I would recommend to put a box behind the red text to make the text a little bit more legible, or to change the type color to white to match the other text boxes. Overall nicely done!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Both designs are visually appealing and would serve their purpose well. The ironwood_2 design is a bit stronger. The nav text needs a little padding as well as a little space between the website title and the image. The stirrup and crop graphics are a nice addition! Those and the typefaces are working well and tie the barn theme together.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

I feel like Ironwood 2 has much stronger personality and is more interesting to look at. However, the images on the side are fairly small and it's really hard to read all of the text on the page. The header up top might be better white, and the nav buttons might be better if they were a lighter pinkish-red as in the roof in the top photo? I would recommend a colored box behind the paragraph of red type further down, and then the white type feels very crammed, squashed, and could do with having a better font choice. "Contact Us" and "Trainers" could be larger and white?
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

darian_p

Post by darian_p »

Both designs are very nice! I think to top one works a little better though because of the wood background and since it's a wood working shop it's just meant to be. The only think I would change is the type. With the wood background it's a little hard to see. Try playing with font color and size, you could also try a heavier font as well.
bImage
Darian Potichny