Project 2 preliminary designs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Cassiebowers

Project 2 preliminary designs

Post by Cassiebowers »

For this project I picked this website http://ghosttowns.com/

For my first design I photoshopped some some cowboys to look like an old photograph and merged it with a modern picture of Virginia City. The original website used an interactive map to navigate the website. I liked that idea so I'll try to do that for my website too.

For my second design I made it look like an old western poster using an old paper texture and scroll designs.
Attachments
ghost_town_home_1.jpg
ghost_town_sample_1.jpg
ghost_town_home_2.jpg
ghost_town_sample_2.jpg
Cassandra Bowers

Kyler_Rose

Re: Project 2 preliminary designs

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Both Projects, are looking great I would say I would learn more towards the second design more, it make be alittle hard to incorapate into a website, if you pull it off your website will look amazing.

For your First body Page, I would say try to play with type positioning a little more.
Kyler Rose

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

I really like both of the styles of these layouts. The old photograph blended with the modern photography is really cool. Overall, I'd say your second design is stronger. The first layout is nice, but it feels cluttered and less unified. It would be cool if you could somehow incorporate that blended photograph into your second design. I love the tattered paper look.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

I like the style and feel of both layouts. The old paper is cool. Reminds me of a Wanted poster. I think I am favoring the first layout with the cowboy image. That is really eye catching. The navigation is working well on that as well.
Susie Lang

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Cassiebowers,
I like the second design better although I think the first one captures the subject matter a lot better along with the images and type style and layout. If you go with the first one, you should do some edits to the white fade above the cowboys, it makes it a little too obvious that it's photoshopped. For the second one, the border boxes around the image and poster should be more rustic and resemble your text in terms of texture.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

That first design is rad! I love the conceit of blending new and old photos of these towns together. That's a really strong concept. I'd love to see each page be a new one. Great choice in typography as well. The old west font is putting in work for your titles and the brand font is working well for navigation and bodycopy. Good synergy with these two. Your navigation is large and easy to use. I even like it's right alignment here. The margins on the homepage are working well. Your groupings create a good hierarchy on both your homepage and your inner page. Just about all the parts are working well together in your layout.

Watch your margins on the inner page. The Nevada map is awfully close to the Nevada title on your inner page and the text is a little close to the edge of it's container. I'd also widen your nav buttons a touch as "Museum" is pretty close to it's edge. Maybe sub that semi transparent container on your inner page for a distressed old piece of paper like in your second design. I think would work better with your theme.

Top notch work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I like the second one better, the only suggestion I would have is making the buttons larger as well ass making the image larger, there's a little too much empty space. The first one is cool, but the homepage and inner page don't feel as unified.
Julian Emme

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

OOOoo, very cool! I feel as though your first design's overall concept is brilliant, although the output of the second layout is a little more cleaner and neater than the first. I don't have a preference for one or the other, so go with the layout you like best, awesome work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Both designs are creative and use visual elements well. Design one, with the cowboys is more interesting. The body copy is not very legible. Perhaps a different typeface would work better. The use of an image of wood for the background of the buttons is neat, especially the gradient that gives a mysterious, ghostly feel to it.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

These are fantastic! The second one feels stronger.
I would say to either remove the bar in the center on this page http://www.grc175.com/forum/download/fi ... &mode=view or add a similar bar in the center of the other page? It feels out of place currently but doesn't look bad, per say. I love all of your type choices!
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================