Lea_Project_2_preliminary_critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.

Which do you like?

First
43%
Second
43%
Both
14%
None (start over)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Ltrueworthy

Lea_Project_2_preliminary_critique

Post by Ltrueworthy »

Here are my roughs, I have mixed feelings about them. I don't know if they are too plain or too busy. Let me know what you think because I am stuck.

My website is PennyJuice.com
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 12.15.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 12.15.06 PM.png
Last edited by Ltrueworthy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lea Trueworthy

erika.murray

Re: Lea_Project_2_preliminary_critique

Post by erika.murray »

I like the rainbow layout because the type is more organized, but I also like the pear layout because the color is more subtle. Maybe if you brought in the white rectangle that you have in your pear layout to the rainbow layout it will give more contrast? Or the background of the rainbow layout could be white so that the rainbow pops off more. I think if you take these two layouts and combine them together in some way, your result will be better.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

Really liking the more colorful layout with the veggies and fruits in the heart shape. Great colors and I like your typeface. Looks very kid friendly and I think the information comes across very nicely.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Yay! Another poll. I'm casting my vote for the second one.

I like the greeting card/stationery feel you've established with your second design. It has a kind of Wes Anderson feel to it. Your mascot pears are adorbs and totally work to expand the twee feel of the layout. Your background imagery actually looks like wallpaper. I can see this place having their front office done up in it. I like the generally soft color palette as well. It helps establish the greeting card feel and provides a good base for the type to contrast against. Your navigation is large and easy to use. I like the orange slice in the "c" in your logo. Fun stuff like that helps to keep the design whimsical.

You're going to need some photographs in your composition, I think. The lack of them renders both of your designs a little plain. Also, I would pick something a little more legible for your bodycopy. Maybe even use your logo font in place of the "wacky" font you have for your headlines and navigation. Right now it's a little too high concept, I think. Also, make sure you have even margins on mauve your bodycopy area, right now the homepage is a little crunched at the bottom of it's mauve box and the inner page is a little crunched at the top of it's.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Ltrueworthy,
Well in terms of design I'd go with the first one. The trouble I find myself in with this one is, it is difficult to establish the subject matter. It is hard to figure out what this website is for and I have to view it in full detail just to get an idea of what I'm looking at. To help establish a stronger idea of the subject matter is to include a headline, an image of a cup full of juice with a straw, and a level of hierarchy.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall Thought: Both websites have nice unity and orization to them.
But I am learning more towards the first template. Its cleaner and the information is alot

Template 1: The Layout is nice, my only problem with in is that your body text is aligned center, which usually makes things hard to read.

Template 2: the background is a little distracting and has some weird clipping issues.
Kyler Rose

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

I personally like your second layout best. The overall pastel color scheme is nice and I like the graphic images you've included in all your designs. The type face seems to be a little illegible to me, might try something without serifs? Nice work, def coming along!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I would go with the second one, I would recommend using a different font for the bodycopy however, it's a little to creative to read that much in. The color choices are strong. Both still feel a little weird since there are no actual photos though, maybe try working with some photos?
Julian Emme

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

The first design is easier to understand and navigate. The fruit graphics are interesting and fun! The body copy's legibility could improve with a different typeface and if it were in sentence case. The website is straight forward, but also visually playful.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both designs are really fun and eyecatching! I do prefer the first one.
However, it feels really cluttered and it's hard to tell what the subject matter is, on a first glance. The background color and main text color also don't feel that inviting, together. Some sort of colored boxed behind the text, or use lighter text instead? You could use padding around various elements, as well, to help fix some of the clutter.
Last edited by SerenDark on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================