Project 2 - Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.

Which layout is better?

Rough 1
71%
Rough 2
29%

Total votes: 7

erika.murray

Project 2 - Preliminary Critique

Post by erika.murray »

Hi everyone! The website that I chose to recreate was oj.com. Take in all of its beauty.
Since this website is only one page and incomplete, I am hoping to add a few more pages to make it complete. Those pages will include a Nutritional Info page and a Products page.

I am still trying to unify my color scheme a bit more, right now it is all over the place. I like both of my designs, but I do think in the end I will do a little bit of merging. Let me know what you think!
Attachments
rough1_edm.jpg
rough1_inner.jpg
rough2_edm.jpg
rough2_inner_edm.jpg
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

chaytothet

Re: Project 2 - Preliminary Critique

Post by chaytothet »

I always love the clean lines and organization of your stuff :)

Personally, i like the second choice best, I like the variety of colors and the layout just seems more inviting.

One thing I would look into is maybe substituting the circles from the first layout in for the squares in the second..? Hope that makes sense! :)
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

susielang

Post by susielang »

Very good organization and I love your colors! Looks very inviting. Good layout. I do like the second one more. The photos really add a lot to your layout. Think it looks more inviting. Also, the information is easier to comprehend too. Like your typefaces as well.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh. A poll. Time for me to cast my vote!

That vote goes for your rough one. I like how super clean it is. The orange, blue, and white colorscheme works really well. It creates a feeling of cleanliness and freshness that helps sell your juices. Your typography is really well done, too. Using one typeface and then using various boldnesses and italics to establish informational hierarchy creates a feeling of unity in your composition. I also generally like your use of whitespace. It reinforces the cleanliness of the whole piece.

I'd add a bit more bottom margin on your blue bar on your homepage and a bit more whitespace between your bodycopy and both the blue bar below the photo and the orange bar at the bottom of your inner page.

This thing should be super easy to build. I'm looking forward to seeing it as a "real" website. Excellent work.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

erika.murray,
The overall design works well as a whole, the colors are fragrant and is easy to read and navigate. The main thing to adjust would be the navigation bar, it's too simple and easy to miss; perhaps using a bolder type style would help.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall Thought: Both websites look great, I think you can go either or with your designs the color scene is nice and simple and really nothing in my option can be improved.

Template 1: For improvements, nothing much but maybe play with the body text some more
Kyler Rose

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Oh Erica, such pretty clean designs you've made. I'm very fond of both layouts however, your first layout is my personal fave. I like the orange margins and the use of the graphic symbol as the primary focus on the home page. Now if I was super picky the blue margin space in the additional web page isn't entirely centered, but again that's being super duper picky! As always great work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I would go with the first one, the overall design is really clean and effective. The bright colors are super inviting and refreshing. I like the icons in the second one though, maybe there's a way to combine them? Whichever direction you go will work really well.
Julian Emme

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Both designs are strong. The first design has graphics that are visually captivating. The layout is spaced well and looks very clean and sharp. The logo is getting lost in the nav bar a little bit. The color theme goes well with the website's product. Everything looks professional.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both designs are fantastic! They're so sleek, clean, bright, and inviting!
I like the second one more. It feels more open?
The only thing I might recommend would be to fill the white space on the right of this page http://www.grc175.com/forum/download/fi ... &mode=view with some sort of orange or green colored image? It may or may not bee too cluttered thereafter, it'd take some experimentation to see.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================